Visit our Colorado State Extension office for more news, tools and resources.

Colorado State University Extension operates in partnership with the El Paso County Community Services Division to provide non-credit programming to local citizens.
Tap to Call

New Feed Guidelines for Livestock


What do you need to know?

1. On January 1st, 2017, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will require a Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD) for all medically important antibiotics administered in livestock feed and water.

2. Over-the-counter sales of medically important antibiotics will also end.

3. In order to acquire a VFD you will need to have a Veterinarian Client Patient Relationship (VCPR) and then you will be able to gain access to these antibiotics. It then becomes your responsibility to keep records for two years.

How does this affect 4-H?

1. It will affect all individuals who have previously fed medicated feeds or used over the counter antibiotics in water.

2. You will need to update your VCPR and attain a VFD in order to acquire these antibiotics.

3. You will need to communicate with whoever you get your feed from to determine what you plan to do to address this change.

4. You will no longer to able to go purchase bagged feed or feed of any kind with medically important antibiotics unless you have a VFD in place.

5. Prepare for this change and make sure you have everything you need in place.


1. Colorado State University Extension Office







Comments are closed.