|COLORADO 4-H PROGRAMS NEEDS 14 HOST FAMILIES FOR JAPANESE AND SOUTH KOREAN YOUTH AGES 12-15 (HOSTING PERIOD July 23 – August 17)
These delegates are part of three organizations in Japan and one in South Korea who rely on Colorado families to host.
PLEASE HELP US PLACE THESE LAST DELEGATES ON THE LIST BELOW WHO ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO A GREAT COLORADO EXPERIENCE FOR 3 1/2 WEEKS.
Who can host: Colorado families who are interested in other cultures and enjoy working with youth (ages 12-16). A separate bed is required but not necessarily a separate room from the host sibling. Delegates are 100 per cent medically covered with 4-H insurance and bring their own spending money. They can go on host family vacations, camping trips, or join their host sibling for summer camps. The focus is everyday life.
Benefits: Increase cross-culture and global understanding, broaden communication skills, make a new friend from another country, and have fun while learning about Japan or South Korea in your own home. A future opportunity is available for host siblings to travel to Japan or South Korea and stay with a host family for one or two months.
What you do: The host family treats the delegate as a family member (rather than a tourist/guest), and keeps a “regular” family schedule. That could mean: chores, fairs, camping, ballgames, playing board games, etc . . . . very busy or not so busy. It just depends on what your family likes to do! Most delegates will have studied English in school. They may be shy and don’t want to make mistakes, so it takes a few days for them to be comfortable using English. Courtney is available 24/7 by phone, including cell. In addition, we have great resources in the adult chaperones who will also be in Colorado during the exchange.
Families that have participated in the past have had wonderful experiences!
– Hosting does not need to be expensive- exploring your local community has been the best experience for all! One of the favorite trips last year was a delegate traveling to the city dump and recycling center- it’s all new and different.
– You open your heart and your home for one month! It’s a once in a lifetime family experience!
– The delegates coming to the U.S. are gaining huge experience in English language immersion- a gift that will help them prepare for college!
– As a family, you get to build some great communication skills- you also get the chance to ‘rediscover’ your local area and see it through the new lens of your foreign delegate.
NOTE – THE DELEGATES HIGHLIGHTED IN RED NEED TO BE PLACED FIRST BECAUSE THEY GO TO HOST TAMILIES FIRST – THANK YOU!!!!!
Japanese Summer Delegates 2017 – 5/25/17
1. CO-F-112, Hanaa. female, 12: likes drawing, playing piano, museums, reading, eat American hamburger
2. KNG-031, Hibiki, male, 15: likes comics, watching & playing baseball, drawing, swimming, site-seeing
3. NGC-013, Fumiya, male, 12: likes playing volleyball, cats, science & math, swimming, nature, arts/crafts, insect collecting
4. NGO-037, Seia, male, 13: likes comics, ping pong, camping, swimming
5. YAM-003, Shuhei, male, 13: likes ping pong, badminton, cycling, track & field, running, swimming, reading comic books, cats
6. U-F-01, Yukako, female, 15: likes writing, calligraphy, cooking, animals, museums, hiking, camping, playing violin, skiing, watching soccer, baseball and marathons
7. U-F-03, Mayuko, female12: likes camping, new food, cooking, boating, hiking, nature/outdoors, arts/crafts, dancing, painting/drawing, horseback riding
8. U-F-06, Momoka, female, 13: reading, singing, dancing, camping, campfire, hiking, nature, animals, new food, cooking, arts/crafts, gardening
9. U-M-01, Joji, male, 14: likes playing golf, climbing, reading books and comics, hiking, camping, nature, swimming, ping pong
10. U-M-02, Jin, male, 13: likes playing tennis, basketball, baseball, soccer, swimming, skiing, ping pong, canoeing, boating, practice cooking, animals, museums, gardening, hiking, camping, nature, arts & crafts, dancing
11. U-M-03, Shinsaku, male, 14: likes reading, playing games, skiing, swimming, basketball
12. U-M-04, Tougo, male, 14: likes politics/world events, reading, arts & crafts, computers, playing cello, running, swimming, volleyball, ping pong
South Korean Summer Delegates 2017 – 5/25/17
13. Ju Bin, male, 14: likes playing baseball, track & field, hiking, skiing & snowboarding, swimming, Taekwondo, fencing, science
14. Suhyeon, male, 13: likes museums, camping, nature, movies, baseball, classical music