Soil Test Kits
Pick up a soil test kit from Colorado State University Extension Office at 17 N. Spruce St. Before you come to the office call (719) 520-7690 to make an appointment, Monday through Friday between 3:00 pm to 4:30 pm.
Take the kit home and collect soil then send it to our Fort Collins campus where a lab analyzes the soil.
Colorado State University Extension Office provides the soil test kits. Kits are free up to 3 per person, 3 or more -$5.00 each kit
Each kit includes:
- a collection container
- mailing labels
- a list of the services available
- price list.
The cost of the soil test varies upon on type of analysis selected on request form and is paid to Ft. Collins.
The following analyses are available:
- Routine Garden and Landscape Soil Test
- A basic evaluation for characterizing the soil fertility status. Provides report on: pH, EC (salts), organic matter, nitrate, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, iron, copper, manganese, boron, lime and texture estimates
- Routine plus texture analysis by hydrometer
- For an additional cost, the lab will include an accurate measure of the percent of sand, silt, and clay
- Routine plus C/N ration
- C/N ratio helps determine the fertilizer N recommendation for soil that has had high rate of compost of manure applied to it
- Routine plus Sodium Evaluation (SAR)
- Sodium Absorption Ration is the ration of sodium to calcium+magnesium
- Routine plus Chromium, Molybdenum, Cadmium, Lead
- Near mining sites metals may be found at toxic levels in the soil
- Routine Manure, Compost and Potting Soil analyses
For additional soil test information please visit: http://www.soiltestinglab.colostate.edu/