Soil Test Kits- Self Service
Pick up FREE soil test kits from Colorado State University Extension Office at 17 N. Spruce St.
There is a self service station set up at the reception desk on the first floor of the building. We only ask that you please complete a client contact sheet for our records.
Each Kit includes:
- a collection container
- A form with instructions and prices
Please fill out the top portion of the yellow client contact sheet and leave in the purple folder at the front desk.
Take the kit home and collect soil then send it to our Fort Collins campus where a lab analyzes the soil. The cost of the soil test varies upon on type of analysis selected on the request form and is paid to the lab in Ft. Collins.
You may take as many kits as you’d like; however, each separate area costs $35 (for the basic test), so we ask that you please take only the kits that you plan to send in. (Examples of separate areas would be vegetable garden, lawn, flower bed).
The following analyses are available:
- Routine Garden and Landscape Soil Test
- A basic evaluation for characterizing the soil fertility status. Provides report on: pH, EC (salts), organic matter, nitrate, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, iron, copper, manganese, boron, lime and texture estimates
- Routine plus texture analysis by hydrometer
- For an additional cost, the lab will include an accurate measure of the percent of sand, silt, and clay
- Routine plus C/N ration
- C/N ratio helps determine the fertilizer N recommendation for soil that has had high rate of compost of manure applied to it
- Routine plus Sodium Evaluation (SAR)
- Sodium Absorption Ration is the ration of sodium to calcium+magnesium
- Routine plus Chromium, Molybdenum, Cadmium, Lead
- Near mining sites metals may be found at toxic levels in the soil
- Routine Manure, Compost and Potting Soil analyses
For additional soil test information please visit: http://www.soiltestinglab.colostate.edu/